Friday, January 15, 2010

That Bossy Woman In The Car

We recently acquired a GPS and I have named her/it "Iris." I'm not exactly sure why I settled on the name Iris. I think it is because Pastor Dad set the voice to sound like a British female and I tried for days to think of that woman's name on one of those British sitcoms. But her name wouldn't come to me no matter how hard I tried to come up with it. All I remembered was that the woman had a floral name and her surname was "Bucket" but that she insisted that it be pronounced "Bouquet."

By the time the Princess reminded me that the name was Hyacinth I had already been calling our GPS "Iris"for several days because I needed a moniker when I yelled at the voice as it tried to send me in ways that I did not wish to go. I couldn't just sit quietly while she assumed her longsuffering air when I'd disobeyed her directions.

"Iris," I said, "that is not a good idea and I refuse to go that way!"

"Recalculating," she sighed.

It is really Pastor Dad's gadget but it doesn't seem to bother him when she gives him driving directions that he doesn't want to follow. But then, he's had a lot more experience ignoring the female voice in the car giving him driving directions.

3 comments :

  1. "Iris" is a good name - having to do with the eye and seeing, etc. Very good

    Pastor Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet now you wish that you had traded me for my tomtom lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. After your wise crack on the Pastor being used to taking driving instructions from women, I cracked up when I read his nonchalant answer regarding her name! Reminded me of Tim and his diplomatic answers at times to/about me! Gotta love 'em, don't ya?!

    ReplyDelete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)