Thursday, January 6, 2011

More About Our DNA results

Remember this post from over 2 years ago where I told about the DNA test my dad had taken in the hopes of advancing our genealogy research? (See here)  Remember how shocked I was to find out that I am of Scandinavian descent? Okay, remember that I mentioned briefly that my grandpa said we were Dutch  but I "assumed" he meant German as in "Pennsylvania Dutch" because his Grandma's lineage was of German descent?

Well, once again, I am amazed and astounded by those same DNA results! I checked the site recently to see if our results matched closely any recent participants. I almost choked on my coffee when I saw that there was one . . . . and he was an exact match! I contacted him immediately (which was about a month ago) and waited for the response (which came yesterday). The man's family is from Portugal and his parents were born in British Guyana. A quick look at that country's history confirmed my suspicions that the old colony of Guiana was indeed settled by none other than the Dutch. Mmm hmm.

Do you also remember that I once contacted a man in England whose DNA was close (off by 1 point on 1 marker) and that he just could not believe that he could possibly have any relations in the USA? (See here) My, but won't he be surprised to find out that he no longer has relatives in North American but on the South American continent, too?!

Those rascally ancestors! They really got around! Who ever heard of such a thing! :)

I'm no closer than I was to breaking down my brick wall since our surnames do not match, but at least I have a few more clues to go on since my American paternal ancestor was born sometime around the time of the Anglo-Dutch wars. Oh, how the plot thickens! And I love a good story!

3 comments :

  1. Sounds like you're having fun with this DNA and ancestry research. I'd be frustrated so quickly, so DNA for me means - do not attempt, LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stumbled across your blog. I've been doing research for 12 years now, but have never looked into the DNA tests. What surnames do you research? I, too, have Dutch ancestors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I have to agree with Karin!

    ReplyDelete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)