Thursday, January 20, 2011

Peanut Butter As Gum Remover

I had an opportunity today to put peanut butter to work removing chewing gum. Someone left gum in the pocket of blue jeans and it was subsequently washed and dried. Bright green gum.  Not that the color itself matters, but the fact that it was spread all over the inside of my dryer did matter.

A check of the Internet revealed no tips that seemed appropriate or timely. The whole dryer was streaked by what had obviously been almost a completely new pack of the mint-smelling stuff and there was a load of clothes needing to go into the dryer quickly.

Utilizing the knowledge that peanut butter removes chewing gum from hair (another one of those tips that was learned through experience) I decided to see if it would work inside the dryer. I spooned the substance onto a dryer sheet and began to scrub. The peanut butter softened the hardened gum and the dryer sheet provided a safe abrasive. Once the gum was totally removed I took damp rags soaked with a mild cleanser and washed the drum and the door. The laundry routine then continued uninterrupted.

It is said that necessity is the mother of invention. Most probably she is also the mother of children who chew gum.

If you happen upon us in the next few days and think you detect a slight whiff of peanut butter you will now know why.

1 comment :

  1. I will tuck that away in my memory bank to be retrieved should I ever need it. I would, of course, be the one to blame because I chew gum sometimes and hubby never has, lol!

    ReplyDelete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)