Monday, September 9, 2013

Journal Through the Bible: Week 36 Monday

source
Judges 17:1-18:31

This is a strange passage that illustrates the blending of proper worship with the doctrine of  "I think I can worship God in the way I choose" even though God had given repeated instructions about the offerings used for the upkeep of the Levites and concerning idolatry! Obviously, these instructions were being ignored and/or abused. The speech given by Micah's mother is a prime example: "I had wholly dedicated the silver unto the LORD" for Micah "to make a graven image."

This passage follows on the heels of the Samson chronicles because it concerns men from Samson's hometown of Zorah. (See 18:2 and look back to 13:2.)

I am always astounded when I read 18:14-20. Five spies told their brethren about the ephod, teraphim, graven image and molten image in Micah's house and ended with the knowing words, "consider what ye have to do."

What? Destroy the idolatrous stuff? Right away! That would be the thought that crossed my mind!!!!

Evidently not theirs. They just stole everything and made it their own. Even the priest was happy because he got to preach his distorted gospel to a bigger audience.


Does God issue any commands in this passage?

  • God did not speak in this passage.


Does God make any promises?

  • The priest of Micah told the men of Zorah when they hired him to inquire of the LORD that God was with them on their quest to get more land for the tribe of Dan in the north.


Does this passage teach anything about Jesus?

  • Not that I identified.


Does this passage teach anything about yet-future events?

  • Not that I identified.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)