Thursday, June 19, 2014

Journal Through the Bible: Week 70 Friday

source
Jeremiah chapter 12

Jeremiah asks God the age-old question, "Why do the wicked prosper?"

God answers, "If thou hast run with the footmen, and they have wearied thee, then how canst thou contend with horses? . . . I have forsaken mine house, I have left mine heritage. I have given the dearly beloved of my soul into the hand of her enemies."

Does God issue any commands?

  • God asks Jeremiah how he would persevere when things got tougher if he couldn't make it through the present troubles.


Does God make any promises?

  • The sword would devour from one end of the land to the other.
  • God promised that one day His heritage, the Israelites, would return to the land again.


Does this chapter teach anything about Jesus?

  • Israel was the dearly beloved of God's soul and yet He gave her unto her enemies because of her wickedness. Jesus was the dearly beloved of God's soul and yet He gave Him unto His enemies because of our wickedness.


Does this chapter teach anything about yet-future events?

  • Israel is still God's heritage, His dearly beloved. His plans for her are outlined in the book of Revelation.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)