Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Journal Through the Bible: Week 1, Tuesday

Source

(These are my notes from my journal taken from today's assigned reading.)

Genesis 2:4-3:13

  • Does God make any promises in this passage? If so, to whom does He make them and do they apply to me?
(2:17) God promised that death would be the result of eating the fruit from the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

  • Can reference to Jesus be found in this passage? Inferred
As the 2nd person of the Trinity, Jesus was present at the creation of Adam (the "first Adam" is the way the Apostle Paul described him in I Corinthians 15:45 and Jesus is called the "last Adam" in that same passage; see also Romans 5:12-17). He could also have been walking in the garden when the voice called to them after they hid themselves.
  • Are there any references to future events (millennial kingdom, Heaven, New Earth) in this passage? Only when compared with other scripture:
  1. (2:15) The man was given the job of cultivating the garden and all of its upkeep. This could be part of God's plan for those who inherit the New Earth.
  2. (2:9) The tree of life is specifically mentioned as being present in the Garden of Eden. In the Apostle John's vision he states that Jesus also specifically mentioned it as part of the letter to the church at Ephesus (Revelation 2:7) stating that it is currently in the presence of God. John's prophecy also says that this same tree will be planted in New Jerusalem which is the capital city of the New Earth. That means that we know the location of this tree in the past, the present, and the future!
Food for thought: Won't it be wonderful to walk with God in His garden someday?!!!
  • Are there any commands in this passage? Are they for specific individuals or do they apply to me as well?
(2:16) God specifically commanded Adam not to eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Although this command was given directly to Adam and Eve as a result of their disobedience the penalty passed upon all of their descendants (us!).

Did you find anything else of interest today? Please share!

2 comments :

  1. I am interested in reading more about the tree of life. I think I'll do that right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember how I am going thru the bible with the kids in Bible club but the "stories" are just the backdrop for the best story that is told over and over thru out the whole Bible; the salvation of God's people? I hadn't realized it but the Tree of Life also shows us the plan of salvation.

    ReplyDelete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)