Thursday, January 10, 2013

Journal Through the Bible: Week 1, Thursday

Source

Genesis 4:25-5:32

Does God make any promises in this passage? If so do they apply to me?
Nothing new specifically given. However, God had promised Adam in Genesis 2:17 that he would die if he ate fruit from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. We see the fulfillment of this promise in chapter 5. Romans 6:23 tells us that the payment for disobedience (the wages of sin) is death and this definitely will apply to me someday!

Are there references to Jesus in this passage?
This is His genealogy as recounted by the New Testament gospel writer, Luke.

Are there references to future events (in the future for us, that is) in this passage?
The reference to Enoch being taken directly by God to Heaven without the death experience has implications for others that God will call away in the future (see I Thessalonians 4:17). It is also possible that Enoch is one of the two witnesses that preach in Jerusalem (see Revelation 11:1-12) since he did not previously experience death.

Does God make any commands in this passage? If so, to whom? And are they commands that I also must obey?
I found no direct commands.


Did you find anything else of interest to you? Please share!

1 comment :

  1. I forgot to type this yesterday: This is what my bible says in reference to the first civilization in Gen 4:16-24 "The Cainitic civilization may have been as splendid as that of Greece or Rome, but the divine judgement is according to the MORAL state, not the MATERIAL." That really stuck out to me and it is still true to this day.

    ReplyDelete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)