Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Journal Through the Bible: Week 4 Tuesday


Source


Job chapter 20

Zophar speaks for the second time.

Does God make any promises in this passage? If so do they apply to me?
One would think so when one reads verses 23 through 29 and in a sense, there are promises that the wicked will be punished, but Zophar takes liberties with the promises of God by saying that a wicked person will be punished in this life ("When he is about to fill his belly, God shall cast the fury of his wrath upon him, and shall rain it upon him while he is eating.") Uh, not necessarily so! God is very patient and is in no hurry when it comes to punishing evildoers.
Are there references to Jesus in this passage?
None that I saw. Do you think it is a coincidence that Job's friends do not speak of the promised redeemer like Job does?
Are there references to future events (in the future for us, that is) in this passage?
None that I identified.
Does God make any commands in this passage? If so, to whom? And are they commands that I also must obey?
God does not speak in this passage and there are no commands even though Zophar's words make it appear as though God is issuing commands through him.

Did you find anything else of interest to you? Please share!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)