Thursday, January 24, 2013

Journal Through the Bible: Week 3 Thursday

Source

Man that is born of a woman is of few days, and full of trouble. He cometh forth like a flower, and is cut down: he fleeth also as a shadow, and continueth not. Job 14:1,2


Job 13:1-14:22
Evidently Job's faith rebounded because chapter 13 contains some of the most beautiful scripture concerning love of God:

Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him: but I will maintain mine own ways before him. He also shall be my salvation: for an hypocrite shall not come before him.  Job 13:15-16
 These verses are found within Job's continued rebuttal to the arguments of Eliphaz, Bildad, and Zophar. He also gives them a warning of his own in 13:6-11, a warning that those who have read the book know comes to pass at the end. These friends were not seeking Job's welfare, nor were they speaking for God! They were the busybodies of their day who had come for the sole purpose of trying to writhe a juicy confession out of Job.

Does God make any promises in this passage? If so do they apply to me?
Job is the only speaker in today's reading but he does recite promises about the future that the patriarchs clearly understood.
Are there references to Jesus in this passage?
In 13:3 Job states that he would like to reason with God. Jesus makes just such a thing possible! (Isaiah 1:18)
 Jesus is also the only person who could bring a clean thing out of an unclean thing (14:4).
Are there references to future events (in the future for us, that is) in this passage?
Yes, 14:10-14 describe the death, burial (sleep of the body), and the resurrection (described as "my change" in verse 14).
Does God make any commands in this passage? If so, to whom? And are they commands that I also must obey?
God does not speak in this passage.

Did you find anything else of interest to you? Please share!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)