Thursday, January 17, 2013

Journal Through the Bible: Week 2, Thursday

Summer in the meadow (taken by author)

Job 2:11-3:26

I did not find much to answer the questions I am searching for in this passage, but I did notice something else that I have never noticed before. I will share that thought at the end.

Does God make any promises in this passage? If so do they apply to me?
I did not see any direct promises in this passage because God does not speak, but perhaps what I noticed today might be thought of as a "promise."
Are there references to Jesus in this passage?
No, but Job's friends are definitely the "anti-type" of Jesus who is "a friend that sticks closer than a brother." (Proverbs 18:24)

Are there references to future events (in the future for us, that is) in this passage?
Not exactly, except that there is reference to a person who dies being at rest, which would take  for granted a time when that body would awaken again, hence a future resurrection.

Does God make any commands in this passage? If so, to whom? And are they commands that I also must obey?
God does not speak in this passage.

Here is what I noticed in Job 3:11-17. In the verses before these Job mourns that he was ever born and wishes that no one would regard the day of his birth. In these verses he says that if he had died in the womb or had been stillborn his body would have been at rest. It might seem like a small thing to some, but in the debate about the eternal state of infants, born or unborn, it seems to me to be a BIG deal and a comfort.

Did you find anything else of interest to you? Please share!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)