Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Journal Through the Bible: Week 3 Wednesday


Adrift (taken by author)


Job 11:1-12:25

Chapter 11 is the first speech made by Job's friend, Zophar. Chapter 12 is Job's reply.

There is a verse containing a sarcastic quip made by Job that I often quote to myself whenever I am annoyed with those that I think are being "holier than thou." (And I beg your forgiveness if you think that describes me at times.) Anyway, it is 12:2, "No doubt but ye are the people, and wisdom shall die with you.

Who said scripture can't be humorous?  :)

Does God make any promises in this passage? If so do they apply to me?
Although Zophar seems to be reciting the promises of God (see 11:15-19) he really isn't. God never made such promises, at least not for the sojourn through this life!
Are there references to Jesus in this passage?
The description of God's powers in 12:9-25 apply to Jesus. As part of the eternal Godhead Jesus is the "ancient" of verse 12.
Are there references to future events (in the future for us, that is) in this passage?
None that I identified, however, many of the descriptions of destruction that God brings about will also happen in the future.
Does God make any commands in this passage? If so, to whom? And are they commands that I also must obey?
God does not speak in this passage.

Did you find anything else of interest to you? Please share!

3 comments :

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is something I think we should expect to find in Job: Zophar's speech comtained error, because nowher does the Bible guarantee a life










    In verse 17 "clearer than the noonday for the faithful believer. Rather, "we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God" (Acts 14:22) And Believers must never think that God has promised a trouble free life(Ps 34:19)God may send both joy and sorrow in order to detach our love from the things of this world and attach it to Himself.





    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true, Cleona! So many people quote verses from Job as proof of God's promises to us. What they don't realize is that just because something is being quoted in this book doesn't make it true as proven by the fact that God denounces them at the end of the book.

      Thanks for adding the scripture references for us!

      Delete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)