Does God issue any commands?
- God told Jeremiah to go stand in the king's gate and preach to the king the message sent from God, specifically a message telling them to observe the sabbath day.
Does God make any promises?
- God states that Judah's sins are graven upon the table of their heart with a pen of iron made with a point of a diamond. Because of these sins the substance of the people would become spoils and the people would go into captivity.
- God pronounced a curse upon people who depend on other people for their ultimate protection.
- God said that the man who trusted in the LORD would be blessed like tree planted by the waters. (See Psalm 1 in comparison)
- God promised that He would search each heart and reward each person according to the fruit of their doings.
- God promised blessings to the throne of Judah and the descendants of David if they would institute the observation of the sabbath day once more. But if they would not, a fire would be kindled that would devour the palaces of Jerusalem.
Does this chapter teach anything about Jesus?
- Jesus is the judge that searches the hearts and who will reward each person according to the fruit of their doings.
- Jesus is the refuge of the righteous in the day of evil.
Does this chapter teach anything about yet-future events?
- The day of judgment when each person will be rewarded according to the fruit of his or her doings is yet to come for us.