Thursday, February 4, 2010

A Day In Dallas

Posted by Picasa


We returned today from Dallas, TX where Pastor Dad preached a series of messages at one of the suburban churches. We were very blessed on this trip in that it was a wonderful meeting and a personal encouragement to us, too. We're blessed to have renewed some old friendships and to have made new ones with the pastor and his wife and members of the church. God is so good!

The pastor and wife were extraordinary host and hostess and they spent the mornings taking us to local points of interests. We came home laden with books we bought at various bookstores. I'm envious of the super sized Half Price Books and the Mardel bookstores where we shopped! I thought for sure we'd be surcharged for having an overweight suitcase as a result. No surcharge, but the skycap sure looked surly as he lifted the bag!

We visited downtown Dallas on Monday and toured the museum in the Texas Book Depository. Very interesting presentation! Even though it commemorates an event that sparks major memories for most people (Where were you when you heard that JFK was shot?) I have only a minor recollection of sitting in the kitchen and eating my breakfast the next morning while my mom listened to the news on the radio. I asked her what was going on and she told me. I had just turned 4 years old so none of it made much sense to me at the time. But taking the audio tour this week caused me extreme sadness as I witnessed the events of that day via pictures and video. It was more than my 4 year old brain could comprehend in 1963 and it is still incomprehensible to me today.

But this was the only sadness we encountered except when the time came to say good-by to our friends there in the Lone Star State. Thanks, all, for your Texas hospitality!

1 comment :

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)