Thursday, February 7, 2013

Journal Through the Bible: Week 5 Thursday

source


Job 32:1-33:33

Job's three "friends" Zophar, Eliphaz, and Bildad have run out of words in their debate against Job. Now a fourth person, a younger man by the name of Elihu, speaks. If you know the story you know that at the end God tells Job to pray for Zophar, Eliphaz, and Bildad and He will accept them but God does not do the same for Elihu. This sets the stage for a dilemma in my mind. Is Elihu right? Or is he wrong? And if he is wrong, why does God not tell Job to pray for him also?

I said recently that the thoughts contained in these blog posts are my thoughts and findings taken from the notes I make when I read my Bible and  not the result of consulting commentaries. That is the case today as well except that I am somewhat biased to one opinion as the result of something I read last year. I read in Henry Morris' book on Job last year and he believed that Elihu overstepped his authority and saw himself as an intercessor between Job and God. If that be the case - dare I say it? - that claim borders on the New Testament description of the unpardonable sin! If so, then perhaps that is why Job was not told to pray for Elihu.

On the other hand, Elihu's arguments are not exactly those of the former three but he does make some of the same points. If Elihu carefully and honestly represents a Godly position there would be no need for Job to pray for him at the end.

Does God make any promises in this passage?
It depends on which view of Elihu you believe.
It is true that God will be gracious to the man that is ransomed (see 33:24) and He will do the wonderful things proclaimed in 33:24-30.
Is there any reference to Jesus in this passage?
Yes, Jesus is the complete intercessor no matter which view one takes. He is the Man ("formed out of the clay" 33:6) who came to represent God.

His terror does not make the righteous afraid (33:7).

He is the one that keeps the soul from the pit of destruction (33:18)

He is the messenger, the interpreter, one among a thousand, that shows man uprightness (33:23).

He is the one that pays the ransom for man's atonement (33:24).
 
Is there any reference to future (to us) events?
Yes! Job 33:24-29 are a beautiful portrayal of the future that a believer has with God.  Other scriptures agree that youth and vigor will return to each person and that a believer will live forever with God (see John 14:23).

Does God give any commands? If so, to whom? And must I obey them?
God does not give any commands in this passage.
 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)