Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Journal Through the Bible: Week 5 Tuesday

source

Job chapter 30

Job speaks of the humiliation and terror as a consequence of the shiftless people who mocked him for his sickness. He suggests that even God is opposed to him (verses 11 and 19). 

This chapter is a little confusing at times because of the pronouns. In the context of the passage I understood "he" or "him" to be God in the verses listed, but from verse 24 onward it means any man that needed help. Verses 20-23 use "thou" which is the singular form of "you." Is Job addressing just one of his friends, specifically Bildad who was the last person to speak, or is he talking to God? If Job is talking to God we can use our imaginations to see him looking directly at his friends as he addresses them and then pausing to turn his attention toward heaven to speak to God before turning his attention back to his friends. And who is the "they" in verse 24 if the "he" is God? Although this passage was very intriguing I don't think it contains any answers to the 4 questions.

 Does God make any promises in this passage? If so do they apply to me?
No promises that I could identify.
Are there references to Jesus in this passage?
None that I could identify.
Are there references to future events (in the future for us, that is) in this passage?
None that I could identify.
Does God make any commands in this passage? If so, to whom? And are they commands that I also must obey?
I did not find any direct commands in this passage.
Did you find anything else of interest to you? Please share!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)