Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Journal Through the Bible: Week 5 Wednesday

Job 31 in my Bible
Oh that one would hear me! behold, my desire is, that the Almighty would answer me, and that mine adversary had written a book. Surely I would take it upon my shoulder, and bind it as a crown to me. Job 31:35-36

Job chapter 31

Oh, but the Almighty will answer Job! But not yet.

Who does Job consider his adversary? Is it God? If so, He did write a book and it contains these words! If he means Satan, well, I think he has written a few books as well but that's another story. Let's just say I think this father of lies is the number one plagiarizer when it comes to writing so-called holy books.

In this chapter Job gives a list of sins and then puts verbal check marks by them to say he did not commit them. They include adultery, abuse of power, covetousness, hatred, and hiding from God as did Adam. He says that if he had done these things God would be justified in taking his crops, his children, and his riches from him. He mentions a few other punishments that had not befallen him but that he feels would be justified if he were an evil man which include making his wife a servant or a widow and breaking his arms.

 Does God make any promises in this passage? If so do they apply to me?
No promises that I could identify.
Are there references to Jesus in this passage?
We know that Job is innocent of these sins, yet not perfect. But even so, he is a type of Christ, the Perfect Man who would be tempted to do these sins yet would remain sinless.
Are there references to future events (in the future for us, that is) in this passage?
None that I could identify.
Does God make any commands in this passage? If so, to whom? And are they commands that I also must obey?
I did not find any direct commands in this passage.
Did you find anything else of interest to you? Please share!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)