Friday, February 15, 2013

Journal Through the Bible: Week 6 Friday

source


Genesis 11:10-12:3

We are returning now to Genesis and picking up where we were before reading Job. As I mentioned several weeks ago, many Bible scholars believe Job to be the contemporary of Abraham. Now that we have finished Job's biography we will begin Abraham's.

As I mentioned here, by doing the math from the ages given in chapter 11 we can determine that Shem outlived Abraham!

Does God make any promises? If so, to whom? Do these promises apply to me?
Yes, in the first few verses of chapter 12 God makes a covenant with Abram. He promises that He will make him a great nation and that all nations will be blessed through him.


Are there any references to Jesus in this passage?
Yes, Jesus is the fulfillment of that blessing to all nations!

Are there any references to End Time events?
Not specifically, but the New Testament (testament means "covenant") makes it clear that this promise that God made to Abraham is eternal and that all who repent of their sins and put their faith in Jesus - the blessing for all nations - will be the beneficiaries of it as residents of the New Earth.

Does God issue any commands? If so, to whom? Do these commands apply to me?
God commanded Abram to leave his homeland and to go to the land that God would show him. This does not specifically apply to me, but since I am a Christian and will be a beneficiary of the eternal blessing it will apply to me when the New Jerusalem is established upon the New Earth.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)