Friday, February 1, 2013

Journal Through the Bible: Week 4 Friday

Source

But he knoweth the way that I take: when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold. Job 23:10



Job 23:1-24:25

Job is the speaker in both chapters. In chapter 23 he voices a complaint about how the righteous are treated. Where is God when we need him? Why won't he listen to reason?

Chapter 24 is a return to the complaint of how the wicked are treated. Why do they seem to get away with evil?

Does God make any promises in this passage? If so do they apply to me?
No, there are no promises except that Job understands that there is a promised reward for those who endure tribulation (23:10 quoted above). This is verified by other scripture (see Rev. 7:14-17; I Cor. 3:11-17)
Are there references to Jesus in this passage?
The first few verses of chapter 23 deal with Job standing before the physically incarnate God in order to state his case. Jesus is God in the flesh.
Are there references to future events (in the future for us, that is) in this passage?
The reference to coming forth as gold (which would mean passing through the refining fire) is a foreshadowing of judgment.
Does God make any commands in this passage? If so, to whom? And are they commands that I also must obey?
There are no direct commands in this passage, but it is clear that each of us must pass through the refining fire and that we should seek to serve God by living a life that is pleasing to Him since we all face judgment!
 
Did you find anything else of interest to you? Please share!


A whole-hearted "THANK YOU" to those who have left comments sharing what they find in the scripture passages. It is nice to know that my plea to find and share is not being ignored! The information that I post each day is what I find in my own personal reading and is not taken from commentaries. It is my sincere request to hear what others find because I know I miss so much no matter how thorough I try to be in my own devotions. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)