Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A Pox On Our House, Part 2



This is the continuation of last week's memory found here.

As many of you mentioned in your comments last week, chicken pox can be devastating to the health of an adult. So, yes, I do suffer effects from that ailment to this very day.

It wasn't that I had not been exposed to the chicken pox as a child. It might seem that as an only child I wouldn't have had much opportunity to get them, but actually I was exposed to them many times through the germ-sharing program that I participated in with my 30+ cousins. In that case, I'm sure I gave as good as I got. But I didn't get the chicken pox when it went around the family or school either. My doctors surmised when I got them that my immunity was low due to the recent pregnancy-childbirth-nursing baby stage I'd just completed.

About a week after the pox descended upon us Lulu and Princess had grown well enough to be back to their normal activities. For the just-shy-of-ten-months-old Princess this meant getting back to the business of cruising around furniture and crawling from one end of the house to the other.

But suddenly things got bad. Real bad.

Without an apparent explanation Princess started crawling around with one arm tucked up under her like a bird with a broken wing. This was followed by a terribly high fever that spiked higher than anything she had experienced while battling the chicken pox. It took several days before the doctors finally found the cause of the problem and unfortunately in their prior attempts to help they had only made matters worse. As our baby progressively got sicker and sicker one of the doctors finally found a spider bite tucked between her thumb and first finger. It was hidden among the chicken pox scars.

Since so much time had been lost and errors had worsened her condition, we were told that she might not survive. Regular readers know that she did! And that she is now expecting a little bundle of joy of her own! This was truly God's mercy.

The real reason I am telling you this is that I would like to thank someone for their ministry to us during that time. There are many people who stood by us but I have someone in particular in mind.

I would like to thank the mother of my son-in-law, Prince Charming, for taking Karen and Lulu to stay at her house while we watched to see whether the Lord would leave our Princess with us or take her home. I told her the last time I saw her that she'll never know what her friendship meant all those years ago.

She was one of the first ladies to befriend me when we moved to their area. She never manipulated the friendship so as to have an inroad with the pastor. She never expected preferential treatment at church. She was always just a friend in good times or bad.

I don't know if she reads blogs or not but I'm sure someone will give her the message. It might even be one of our mutually "Charming" granddaughters. :)

5 comments :

  1. That's a very precious story and very precious friendship. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your story and honoring your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow....that is a beautiful story. Thank you so much for your comment on my blog....it meant alot to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad that you got to keep your princess. Those spider bites can be scary. And chicken pox are not fun either.

    I am so thankful that no matter what we go through, the Lord is always with us to give us strength.

    I have found Him to be faithful in every situation. Our God is an awesome God!

    Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

    ReplyDelete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)