Saturday, November 20, 2010

Not One to Kill Time or Waste Money

I received several gift cards for my birthday in October. I saved them until such a time as I could decide how to spend them. I was really careful not to misplace these cards! I wouldn't want to discover them again in a couple of years like that Bob Evans gift card (and which is still going strong, I might add). :)

I waited.

And I watched.

Then I went!

Last night the Bear attended an activity at a friend's church located about an hour away. The activity was from 6-10 p.m. but I wasn't about to drive all the way back home in order to turn around and go pick him up a couple of hours later. I didn't want to just kill time - which is something that seems to pass away too quickly on its own, I fear - so I used it to shop.

I'm glad I did!

Having gift cards during a recession means more bang for the buck. Since the merchants want to entice the shoppers into the store before Black Friday I was able to buy several things.

With my money I was able to buy a brand new coat, a new pair of boots, a new pair of heels to match an outfit that I bought at an outlet store last spring, and some . . . um . . . unmentionables. Well, okay, I'll mention them anyway. They are long johns of the female variety.

I paid $0.00. I like that price. My sales receipt showed that I saved $184.11. Most of that savings was on the coat but a sizeable portion was on the boots also.

I really, really needed these things. My brown suede parka (the one that made me look like Pepper's twin when we were out for walks) had a zipper malfunction that I couldn't repair. This new coat won't be used to tour the neighborhood with Pepper as I'll be wearing the wool coat that I've owned for years. (And have received numerous compliments on even though I paid $5 for it years ago at a thrift store, but which can now transition into the position of dog-walker coat because I'm tired of re-sewing the lining!) The walks are also the reason for the "unmentionables."

Then there are the boots. I've had my old ankle boots since we moved here in 1999! They've served me well, and they will still be used for those times when the snow is only a few inches deep, but in recent winters the snows have almost required hip-waders!

Finally, the taupe shoes are to replace the ones that were old and well-worn. And Pepper-chewed. At least that pair of shoes was already ready for the garbage before she gnawed them. Others that met the same fate retired prematurely.

Perhaps I didn't save the economy since this cash was in the store coffers already, but I feel like I used my own time and money wisely last night.

I shall now have no fear of the snow, for this member of my household, anyway! At least as far as clothing is concerned.

3 comments :

  1. I love your new items! I thought you might be using MY coat to model a new scarf. Now we can look like twins at Christmas time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT looking items! CONGRATS on being able to stretch those gift cards! I love it when that happens!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great purchases - looks absolutely great! It's just so much fun to spend gift cards - woohoooo!

    ReplyDelete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)