Monday, November 14, 2011

Day 36 Words of Wisdom

So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom. Psalm 90:12

A little bit of practical advice for the traditional Monday laundry day:
Take the time to learn how to treat different types of stains on clothing.

If you do, your clothing will last a whole lot longer. This one doubles as one of those frugal tips I've been known to throw out there every so often.

There are many more that can be researched on the Internet but here are just a few that I've learned by experience through the years {sigh}:
  • Blood stains can be helped along by dousing them with hydrogen peroxide prior to washing.  
  • Tomato-based stains can be removed by wetting the stain and then laying the clothing in the sun.  They will be bleached out of the fabric.
  • Berry stains can be removed by pouring boiling water on them.  (This goes against everything you've ever been taught about not setting a stain!)
  • Some magic marker stains may be removed or faded significantly with rubbing alcohol.  (Crayola used to have a wonderful help line prior to their invention of washable markers.  Perhaps they still do.  I don't know. My kids stopped playing with markers several years ago unless Lulu still does in which case she is responsible for doing her own laundry.)    :)
As you probably know, but I'll say it anyway, always test an inconspicuous part of the fabric for color-fastness before proceeding.  My theory has always been that the clothing is ruined anyway so what have I got to lose by giving it a try?

1 comment :

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)