Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Day 51 Words of Wisdom

So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom. Psalm 90:12

God is more interested in our devotion than our devotions.

I heard one of my friends say this about 20 years ago as part of a woman's seminar and it stayed with me. I did not trust Christ as my Savior until I was in my mid-teen years so I was probably spiritually in my adolescence when I heard it.

I began regularly reading the Bible soon after I trusted Christ but many times I could recall very little of what I'd read. Like a physical teenager, as a spiritual teenager I heard what my Parent said but I wasn't always listening. Later, as the parent of teenagers of my own I became acutely aware of how disrespectful my behavior toward my own parents and my Heavenly Father had been. My children were not (and the teenager at home now is not) bad (nor was I) but I saw evidence that the act of not listening is arrogant and disrespectful.

Once I realized that God wanted my love and respect and not just the legalistic act of reading the Bible my spiritual life changed! I repented of my disrespect.  I began paying attention to what God was saying and started showing devotion when I had my devotions. This made all of the difference. When God spoke through His Word He found a willing listener.

1 comment :

  1. Really appreciate that quote!! Totally want to keep growing in my devotion of my Lord and Savior!

    ReplyDelete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)