Monday, November 28, 2011

Day 50 Words of Wisdom

So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom. Psalm 90:12

Make opportunities to show hospitality.

The Bible encourages hospitality in many places. Sometimes it makes a simple statement about how we've freely received so we should freely give. (Matthew 10:8) This admonishment was for the disciples and preachers as they went forward healing the sick and performing other miracles. Perhaps the circumstances are not quite the same today, but when I think of all who helped us when we were the family of a struggling ministerial student I can't help but want to help others. That's one of the reasons I try to open our home to visiting missionaries and guest speakers if at all possible. We might only be having chili and sandwiches but we're willing to share our humble meals. I guess I think of it as Jesus's version of "pay it forward."

That tends to segue into another one of my favorite verses about hospitality.  Later in the same chapter (Matthew 10:41) Jesus said that those who receive a prophet in the name of a prophet would receive a prophet's reward. I like the sound of that!   :)

Other scripture passages (I Timothy 3 and Titus 1) make hospitality a requirement for a man who desires to pastor. Most of the pastors I know need a hand making that happen.

Okay, so perhaps you're reading this and you're not blessed to live in a pastor's household. That's okay because God expects you to be hospitable, too! The writer of Hebrews tells his readers (that's us, by the way) to entertain strangers because some who had done so entertained angels and didn't even know it! I suspect this to be a reference to the visit Abraham and Sarah had from the men sent to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah, but it doesn't specifically say. I doubt I've served angels around my table, (although there have been times when I've suspected some young ones of being of the fallen kind - just kidding) but we're told of the possibility of heavenly visitors and that's good enough for me.

Don't be afraid to prayerfully share a meal with someone who needs the encouragement. This is the perfect time of the year to do so. There are many people missing loved ones during the holiday season and the thought of being alone is overwhelming. 

Share a meal. Share your heart. Share the love of the Lord.

Possibly entertain angels!

1 comment :

  1. Haven't shared our meals in quite a while - except with family - needy family I might add, lol. Seems around here that's kind gone by the wayside and we'll go 'for coffee' with someone. I fondly remember the younger years when we had a revolving door with guests constantly arriving or moving on! Maybe there is a season for that and now at our age and in our circumstances, we can pass that hospitality torch on to the younger folks! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)