Thursday, March 21, 2013

Hungry? Try This Pancake Recipe

source
I know this isn't a cooking blog, but I have got to share with you this amazing recipe that I discovered yesterday for the most delicious pancakes I have EVER made (or eaten)! They were tasty, light, and fluffy. As a matter of fact they disappeared so fast that I didn't get a picture so I had to borrow one.

I have never been a fan of buttermilk. Meaning, I can't stand to drink the stuff! But I have become a huge fan of baking with it. My homemade biscuits and pancakes have been better than usual lately and it has got to  be the buttermilk! It isn't just the taste of the finished product. It's the consistency!

So here is the recipe I devised for our pancake supper last night:

Sift together in a large bowl (I used a large Pampered Chef Batter Bowl):

1 1/4 cup flour
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

(I don't care if the flour says it is presifted. Sift it anyway! I sifted the dry ingredients together earlier in the day while the kids were down for their naps and did the following steps when we were ready to eat breakfast for our dinner.)

Add the following to the dry mixture:

Cut 2 Tablespoons shortening into the dry ingredients in the bowl with a pastry blender (again, mine came from Pampered Chef) until the mixture resembles crumbs.

Beat 1 egg in a separate cup. Then dump it into the flour-shortening mixture.

Add buttermilk. (Start with 1 cup and then add more 1/4 cup at a time until it reaches the consistency that you like for either thick or thin cakes. I used about 1 1/2 cups.)

Mix well with a wire whisk.

Fry on a lightly greased, hot griddle, turning when done around edges and bubbly in the middle.

****

The next time I make these I'm going to be sure that I have both real butter and maple syrup on hand! Why allow margarine and maple-flavored boiled sugar to cheapen the taste?

And if you need any Pampered Chef items feel free to contact my daughter, Elisabeth (aka Lisa), who is my own personal PC consultant.  :)

1 comment :

  1. Thanks for the plug!

    Dan and I love Buttermilk pancakes. I'll have to try this recipe. We don't like to drink buttermilk either, but when I buy it I try to make as many recipes as possible so it's not wasted.

    ReplyDelete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)