Monday, March 25, 2013

Spring and Easter Crafts: Rose Barrette



I made this barrette for one of my granddaughters. You can't see it, but this is attached to a large barrette form. Here are the supplies I used:


  • 18 inches of 3 different 3/8 inch ribbons for the rose (I used pink dotted swiss, plain pink, and plain white)
  • green ribbon for leaves (I used sheer green dotted swiss) - the length depends upon how large and how many leaves you wish to make
  • needle and thread
  • large barrette form
  • glue (not shown but I used Gorilla Glue)


Instructions:

Braid the ribbons for the rose together into a long strip.

Begin winding the ribbon around itself to make the inner bud. Use the thread to tack any coils that pull loose, including the beginning of the braid. Pull the center out a little and continue winding in a slight cone shape until you reach the end of the braid.

Tuck the end of the braid under and sew it into place.

Make the first leaf by folding the green ribbon into a point. I sewed this into place and crossed the green ribbon across the bottom to the opposite side to make the next leaf. I did this crisscrossing, folding, and sewing into place until I had as many leaves as I wanted. (The reason for the crisscrossing was to add stability.)

Glue a length of ribbon (I used the green) onto the top of the barrette form. Allow to dry. Either tuck and glue the overhanging ribbon or trim it even with the top.

Remove the forked piece on the inside of the barrette.

Barrette with fork out
Barrette with fork in place











Sew the flower onto the top of the barrette by inserting the needle near the bottom center of the rose before wrapping the thread tightly around the barrette. Make several stitches/loops to anchor the rose securely.

Put the fork back onto the barrette.


Give the barrette to one of your favorite princesses!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)