Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Journal Through the Bible: Week 9 Tuesday

source
I willl pass through all thy flock to day, removing from thence all the speckled and spotted cattle, and all the brown cattle among the sheep, and the spotted and speckled among the goats: and of such shall be my hire. So shall my righteousness answer for me in time to come . . .  Genesis 30:32-33a

Genesis 30:1-43 

In this chapter we again encounter the plan to obtain children utilizing slave girls. This was suggested by Rachel to Jacob and it was then copied by her sister, Leah. It is not the first time this extended family used surrogates as a means of procreation. Jacob's own grandparents, Sarah and Abraham, used the same system before they were able to have a child of their own together.

Does God make any promises in this chapter?


God does not speak. I do not think the sayings that Leah and Rachel ascribe to God are necessarily His thoughts on these matters even if these things do give us reasons as to why they named their sons and custodial sons as they did.

Are there any references to Jesus?


None that I identified, however, I suspect that there is one among the account of the business dealings between Jacob and Laban. (Let me know if you have any ideas. The trickery of Satan when he wants Jesus to serve him at the time of the wilderness temptation comes to mind but this might be a little too harsh on Laban.)

Are there any references to End Time events or eternity?

None that I identified.


Does God issue any command in this chapter?
God does not speak.

1 comment :

  1. This is unrelated, but that is a really cute goat at the beginning of this post ;)

    ReplyDelete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)